Sunday 25 March 2018

BoS Prompts 18: Divination.




There's now a dedicated facebook page to support these blog posts @ https://www.facebook.com/BookOfShadowsPrompts/

Thank you all for the support.  I've now made a dedicated facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BookOfShadowsPrompts/ so if you go there turn on all notifications you won't miss these blog posts!! 


Prompt 18. Sunday 25th March 2018 - The 18th prompt will be..  Divination.


This week I have run out of energy and time to write all what I wanted to write about.  So I have stuck with some of the main types of Divination that are most commonly practiced and at the end I have referenced a website which has a long list of hundreds of forms and practices and sub practices of Divination.  - Since we are soon coming to the end of these blogs (at least for now) you might not want to rush and take your time to look at each subject and type; Study, practice and familiarise yourself with some of the basics even if you don't think it's your cup of tea (pardon that pun).


Divination.

For the purpose of this blog I will be referring to all forms of Divination and Fortune Telling etc as Divination.  I will explain..

The name Divination derives from the Latin word divinare which translation means "to foresee, to be inspired by a god".  Forms of Divination include many different types of practice from Tarot Card reading to Crystal Ball gazing (Scrying), using a Pendulum (Dowsing), Tea Leaf reading (Tasseomancy), Palmistry and beyond..   

Divination is such a wide wide wide topic and is the name collectively given to any ‘act’ that reveals The Future, Fortune and/or Fate.  Divination as said was/is done to gain insight into the unknown; most often the future but also the present giving answers to questions we might not have even asked consciously or it is seen as fate, an omen, what could be coming, warnings or simply answers.  Origins of Divination that readings be it Runes, Weather/Nature, Cards or Gazing into the remnants of a drink and even into the night sky etc and all this was interpreted as messages from the Divine (God/Goddess) or some other unknown being or even our future selves. Divination is viewed differently by different people and can therefore also be interpreted differently.  Seeing the shape and form of what could be one woman’s cat could be another man’s dog, or even a fox or other animal (speaking from a recent candle smoke picture I shared on my Instagram @ https://www.instagram.com/p/BgkWYdehnL8/?taken-by=missimoinsane) – this is one of the reasons why Divination is often dismissed by skeptics (non believers) as being superstition; it is very easy to see what you want and make connections, the human brain is very good at forming faces and known shapes in items where faces wouldn't appear such as net curtains, stone, trees etc.  I’ll explain more about this in the ‘Card Reading’ section below.

Some say that there is a difference between 'Divination' and 'Fortune Telling' the first being that the reading is done as more of a ritual it's long and drawn out and treated with great respect and the act of the Divination would be a very symbolic working deeply rooted in religion and/or faith.  Usually practiced to gain an understanding on a larger scale, for example old Indian Tribes would do a form of Divination to gain insight to their future, tribe future, the weather, choice they as a tribe or individual should make all of course interpreting the signs as messages from God.  Not always the case, but throughout history there are a lot of Divination occurrences.  Whereas ‘Fortune Telling’ is more of an everyday practice highly associated with fairground attractions, gypsy booths and even freakshows - cheapened by movies and TV.  Often the same or similar imagery comes to mind when we say 'Fortune Teller' (are you not seeing a Gypsy like woman with her hands wrapped around a Crystal Ball?).  It's a more modernised approach and usually done for more personal gain (like a more selfish reason to know who we will end up with, how our lives will pan out as opposed to if our tribes in danger, if we need to plant more due to natural disaster and such) and often no ritual (or religious aspect) takes place during the Fortune Telling.  - There for we can think of this as more of a more “modern” Divination if you will, even though still hundreds of years old..  However each separate form and practice usually gets lumped together as just 'Divination'.

As said today Divination (Fortune Telling) incorporates tools into practice of psychics, mediums, witches, pagans and even mundanes (none magickal / gifted people).  Various forms of Divination come with stigmas, superstitions, legends, omens etc and a great vast history (as mentioned) some dating way back in time even to BC!  Plus a crazy amount of skeptics (non believers in Divination) and even haters.  Divination tools can be purchased or made, for me I feel that making gives a more personal connection although a lot of my items are purchased.  There's multiple ways of making those tools connect with you such as sleeping with them under your pillow and/or carrying them on your person or simply just working with them..  You'll get a feeling and a connection if that particular item is or isn't working for you.  Purchase items old or new should be Cleansed, Consecrated and Charged but this is down to what feels right for you.

The color purple is highly associated with Divination, Fortune Telling or anything relating to mysticism, psychic abilities/powers and/or magick.  


So let us look at some of today's practices.  – I feel it’s important to tell you I am no way an expert, experienced or even in full understanding of all of the form of Divination.  I will do my best to give the most accurate information here but these are all subjects I’m still learning or some only just started to learn while others I’ve been practicing for years; even before I knew what it was!

Card Reading.

Tarot Cards / Oracle Cards / Fortune Cards / Karma Cards / Angel Cards / Sigil Cards etc..  I’m lumping them all together here while they are different.  Most common would be the Tarot Cards as they’ve been greatly features in movies, TV shows and even books.  They’re iconic symbolism in most Occult / Goth / Witchy fashions.  Any ‘Fortune Teller’ worth their salt will have at least one deck on hand always.

Cards while often arrive boxed are usually stored in a bag or cloth usually of silk or satin as to show respect to the cards.

Cards can be drawn and read in multiple ways for yourself or for others.  Readings for yourself or others with cards is done by a question being asked (or most commonly a Past, Present, Future three card draw) and then the cards drawn (picked) from the deck in the way of which the reader deems best; often readings for others will include them cutting the deck (separating the pile), shuffling the deck and/or choosing a card or cards from a fanned out spread of cards.  Some people don’t like their cards to be handled by other people as they believe, much like with any magickal objects, peoples energies are transferred over (see my Cleanse, Consecrate and Charge blog for more information of peoples energies etc).  As said sometimes the cards are shuffled and fanned out (spread across a table) and one or more is chosen by what your eye is drawn to.  Other times cards are shuffled three times and then the top card is the chosen card and then shuffled again three times for the next and so on.  Sometimes cards are shuffled once and cards are drawn from the top without need to reshuffle after each card draw.  There are other ways of drawing and choosing cards which goes onto card layouts, meanings and such.   Cards usually have more than one meaning and can be applied literally or metaphorically to a person's situation.  Along side interpreting cards upside down to have reverse meanings much like with runes.

Card reading is probably one of the most common forms of Divination today.  Decks are also highly collectable and readers usually have a number of them.  I myself am not so much into Tarot, though I own a few Tarot, Oracle, Fortune, Karma etc.. Decks.  I like visuals and I connect very well visually to item, places, people and things so therefore I would rather a Fortune or Oracle card with a word and a well illustrated image to give a clearer understanding and image (literally and mentally).  - This in turn means I am able to make associations and connections much better than just a number and suit of a card.  

Skeptics don’t believe in Card Readings they say that anyone can make connections with any Tarot / Fortune / Oracle  etc..  Cards as you can often connect any card with something going on in your life right now.  

For me it speaks to me when I can make something higher than an association; a connection – this is more when a certain aspect is really risen and dominantly in my life and a card drawn at that time speaks to me exactly and helps me realise what I need to do or look at the situation differently.  – I remember one time this stands out to me.  I was having a very difficult time in a relationship and I was toying with the idea of traveling to see him but I didn’t want to go alone, I didn’t know what to do for the best and I didn’t know if just showing up was the answer.  I turned to my cards and drew a reading for the week/weekend ahead and indeed this dilemma.. which basically said that ‘I had a difficult decision ahead of me and that I should travel to seek my answers, once there I should rely on a wise elder (friend) for their wisdom and guidance of what I should do but the truth will be revealed before I return I should have the answers I seek be beware unforseen surprise’.  – It was just so fitting!!  And more so creepy when I got there with my friend and there was my boyfriends other girlfriend.. 



Scrying.

Scrying is most commonly associated with the mental image of The Fortune Teller (as previously mentioned) – Scrying can also be known as ‘Seeing’ or even ‘Peeping’ it can be done with a Crystal Ball, Black Mirror or other shiny reflective surface – Preferably not an actual mirror as that would cause distraction being able to see yourself plainly.  Alternatively scrying can be done by looking into a drinks reflective surface such as tea or a bowl of water.  It can also be done with smoke and/or candle flame.  The act of Scrying is gazing into the object unlocking the third eye and subconscious to create images in the reflection to our minds eye which is projected to use and interoperated as a shape or form which then has symbolic meaning.  (I wrote a blog about Symbolism!  But I urge you to invest in books related to your topic and of course books on symbolism such as ‘Element Encyclopaedia Secret Signs & Symbols’ also maybe some tea leaf and/or dream dictionaries and other symbolism books etc..)  

As mentioned skeptics don’t so much believe in ‘Divination’ since as with Cards you’re looking for an answer which may be more ‘convenient’ to you.



Dowsing.

Dowsing is mostly commonly done using a Dowsing Pendulum to gain answers to questions.  Dowsing however can also be done with those ‘L Sticks’ used one in each hand most commonly known to aid finding water, gravity pulls or spiritual activity depending on your beliefs.  Other Dowsing tools include the Y Rod and the Bobber.

Using a Dowsing Pendulum to find answers (unlike in the popular TV show Charmed where they used the term Scrying when they meant Dowsing and used their Pendulum many times over maps to locate someone – I’m sorry to say this is TV Magic and this doesn’t actually happen!)  A Pendulum is used by you ask a question hold the non-pointed end and let the Pendulum hang down.  You ask a question that you know the answer to ‘Yes’, ‘No’, ‘Maybe’ and ‘Don’t Know’ or ‘Unsure’.  There’s no right or wrong Pendulum typically it’s an item on one end that is a heavier (and usually pointed) object most commonly made of semi-precious stone or crystal and then is attached to a freely moving piece of chain or string and then on the other end it might be knotted or have a charm or something that you can hold.  (Traditionally this would be a non metallic item such as a crystal on a string just so people cant say the Pendulum was pulled by a magnetic field.)  You’d hold this between your thumb and first two fingers (of your dominant hand).  Then let the weight hang straight down from the chain or string.  As your questions “Am I a boy?” “Am I a girl?” “Is my name Tom?” “Is my name Imogen”..  as what you like but has to be something you know the answer too to begin with so you get a feel for which way the Pendulum swings (Up and Down Yes, Left and Right No, Diagonally or in Circles Maybe?  Get the feel for which way is Yes, Which is No...).  Then ask your questions..   Now there’s a few way this can be interoperated.  For Skeptics they say its gravity or magnetic pull or that you’re swinging it yourself.  For some it’s a Spirit, Divine or Unknown Being moving the Pendulum to give the answers! and for others (like me) we feel you can’t ask questions you don’t know the answer too like “Will it rain tomorrow?” but you can ask things like “Is going out with my parents tonight a good idea?” because what happens is it triggers the subconscious part of our brain otherwise known as our true self or inner self – it works as like your gut feeling and knows answers like where you actually misplaced your phone, if you really do or don’t want to do something etc (I wrote a blog which touches on this in the clair senses and intuition blog) but it’s that trigger (like in the episode of Friends when Phoebe asks Joey a bunch of questions and he has to just answer really fast and not think just answer and he gives her the answer to which route he would rather take to the movie set ending his dilema..  Well that!)  Those brain waves cause slight muscular movements causing the Pendulum to swing one way or another to which association you have.  For me up and down is usually yes, left and right no, diagonally is maybe and round in circles is I don’t know.  

Sometimes if I don’t like the outcome or I feel disappointed with the answer the Pendulum will switch and change direction.  Pendulums for me or Dowsing is best done when I’m in two minds about a decision.  My main Pendulum (named Divina) is one of the oldest tools I have I bought her when I was 18 (I’m now 29) and she’s a pink agate.  I also have much smaller black onyx I keep in my travel altar and I have a seaglass bead I found at the beach I sometimes use.  If I feel the need for one and I don’t have one with me I use my pentacle necklace.  There’s no real right or wrong way to create a Pendulum (although I have some for sale on my eBay UK with Global Shipping).



Palmistry.

Palmistry or palm reading is another Divination form of reading commonly associated with the Gypsy Fortune Teller.  It is the study of the hand or more specifically the palm and foretelling a person’s future through the study the lines, creases, dents and such forth. 

Palmistry is not one of my practiced Divinations (yet) but the subject I do find intriguing.



Aura Reading.

Aura reading is seeing and reading the a kinetic field / distinctive atmosphere or quality that surrounds (and is generated by) a person, animal, place and/or object.  Practicing this come so easy to very few and very difficult and impossible to others.  I believe it’s done by looking at the subject and unfocusing your eyes almost like you’re looking through the subject so it becomes blur and a fuzzy coloured form appears around the outside.  This can be white, grey or coloured..  These colours usually have their own interpretation and meanings.  For some very well practiced and/or gifted people seeing and even feeling Aura’s comes as second nature.

Again Aura reading is not something I practice.  I have read books and watched videos and been told to hold my hand up in front of a all-white or all black background and focus and unfocused my eyes on my hand.  Sometimes I’m a little successful however it causes eye strain and pain for me rather quickly apparently with practice it will go away but I fear damaging my eyes further.  

There is a lot online about this subject one website that references colours would be https://paranormal.lovetoknow.com/Aura_Colors_and_Their_Meaning



Tasseography / Tasseomancy. (Tea Leaf Reading)

Tasseography or Tasseomancy is the Divination of interpreting shapes and symbols through reading tea leaves, coffee grounds, or wine sediments.  Throughout history people have been looking for the answers in the bottom of drinking vessels (and no I’m not talking about drowning your sorrows with beer).  Even though tea was discovered in 2737BC by Chinese Emperor Shen Nung it wasn’t until the Seventeenth Century that tea leaf reading became popular (mostly the rich since tea was very expensive and it would be a way to pass time after afternoon tea for well to do people who didn’t need to work.)  But originally it was the Romans in apx 753BC who used to read the dregs in the bottom of their wine remnants to interoperate symbols and signs to give readings and tell fortunes much like how we do today; Only today we are more focused on reading tea leaves and coffee grounds since our wine is usually filtered and not all of use drink.

This is often done with loose tea, not herbal tea and not bagged tea either – bagged tea tends to be too fine and small while herbal has unwanted items such as flower petals or fruit chunks in it.  Loose green tea, black or white tea is ideal in a shallow round based cup with a saucer (or small plate) with milk and sweetener if desired.  Once the tea is drank turn the cup upside down on the saucer and let drain for 30 seconds before righting the cup and reading the remaining leaves that form patterns and shapes in the bottom of a cup much like in Scrying.  I recently got into this and picked up a wonderful book called ‘The art of tea-leaf reading’ by Jane Struthers it has a brief but detailed history of Tea and goes on to explain all about tea leaf reading, ritual, choosing a teapot and/or cup and an extensive 100 symbol directory of shapes you might come across.



Runes.

Runes are another form of Divination they're cast and read and interpreted symbolism much like other forms of Divination.  I have already wrote a blog about a few different kinds of Runes such as Elder Futhark and Witches Runes.  This blog also contains information on symbolism and can be found HERE.






I have touched based on a few more common types of Divination however believe me there’s hundreds and each have subtypes.  I found this website which seems to be a good collective list of types of Divination https://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/d/Divination/types.html 

Activity..

  • Research more about the different types of Divination.
  • (Optional) Practice the different types of Divination.

Book Activity..

  • (Optional) Copy down any information from above you think you will find useful.. and/or any further information you find out.

Interact with me Activity..


-----------------------------------------

Thank you all for the support.  For anyone wishing to share, ask for help, talk about BoS / their book and relevant content (or for more information, ideas and unmissable blog posts go to new Fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/BoSPrompts/  Also as previously mentioned you can go on the website version of this blog over on the left there’s a ‘subscribe by email’ so you don’t miss a single post from me.  If you’re on the mobile version scroll right down to the bottom and click ‘view as website’ and that should take you to the website version where you can expand, navigate to the left and subscribe by email :)  I will continue to share this on my Patreon *for free* and also on my Twitter and in various facebook groups..  & Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/BookOfShadowsPrompts/

Imogen x

Next week (1st April) no post due to Easter Sunday
Sunday April 8th's prompts No.19 -  Starting to learn Stones & Herbs etc..




No comments:

Post a Comment